What is your reading goal this year?

Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Lightning Thief





The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson Book #1) by Rick Riordan

(Summary taken from the back of the book) "Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school...again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus's master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect. Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus's stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warms him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves."

This is a young adult book. It is a fun and easy read. I read it to my kids and they LOVED it! They are downstairs right now playing "Percy Jackson." It's great and I love it! I love stories that draw kids in and make them enjoy reading. I liked it myself, even. I liked how Riordan brings boring Greek mythology to life in this modern era. Mount Olympus right above New York City??? Awesome! There was suspense, mystery, action, betrayal, sword fighting, and monsters. What could be better???  I would definitely recommend this book. I wouldn't quite put it up with Harry Potter, but close. Like I said before, I love books that pull kids in, and this one does just that....plus it's fun for me too!

Rating: PG  (6 and up) My 4 year-old heard bits and pieces and wasn't too interested. She didn't understand a lot of it. It is a great read-aloud. There are some parts where I could tell they may have understood it better if they had seen the writing and so I did show them, but for the most part it was a great read-aloud. My 8 year-old could have read it by himself. He would have understood most of it. He would be able to read the words, but complete comprehension??? I don't know. There were gods' names that I didn't know how to pronounce. The mythology is a little over their heads. They had no idea what the River Styx was or the Underworld or even Mount Olympus. For that reason I was glad I read it to them. I think they would have understood most of it but things like those I mentioned above are important pieces to the story so if they don't know what they are then they won't grasp the whole meaning. There is some monster violence but no profanity. Great for kids.

Recommendation: Third Grade and Up. If your third grader is reading it alone, a lesson on mythology is a must! Also, help with pronunciation would also be helpful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Percy jackson was my second favorite book and way more favoratized by me than Harry Potter... your blog is great!