What is your reading goal this year?

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children



Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children 
by
  Ransom Riggs

Blurb:

"A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of peculiar photographs. It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its decaying bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that Miss Peregrine's children were more than just peculiar. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow-impossible though it seems-they may still be alive."

My Review:

Months ago my book group decided to read this book in October for Halloween. At that point I got on the library's website and there was a very long waiting list for this book. I managed to get the book a few days before book group, which I was really excited about. Then I got sick. And I did nothing but read and sleep for two days. I missed book group, but I finished the book. I love the uniqueness of this book. I love that it's based on real collections of old photos. When I started reading this book I didn't realize that the photographs were real. These photos are old, and peculiar is definitely a good way to describe them! I enjoyed looking through the photos; that was one of my favorite parts of this book. The writing is well done; it is easy to read, flows well, and is interesting. There are twists and turns along the way that keep you turning pages. As you read you become involved in the lives of each of these different characters and you begin to care about them. You begin to be scared, happy, and worried about them. Jacob is a good kid. He witnessed a horrible scene and was thrown into a world that he didn't even know existed. I liked him as a character and thought he was well written. Overall, I enjoyed this book. It's a little dark, a bit depressing, and very peculiar, but at the same time it speaks of loyalty, friendship, and taking care of those who can't take care of themselves. 

Rating: PG-13+ (There is some profanity. There's not a ton, but the words used are a little harsher than just the "normal" ones. There's no "intimacy" besides the hint of romance and some almost-kissing. There is some violence. Animals are slaughtered and several characters die in graphic ways.)

Recommendation: 16 years-old and up. ( I have a 15 year-old son, and I didn't feel comfortable with him reading that profanity, so I decided to make him wait a year or so longer. I know he hears profanity at school, but that doesn't mean I feel comfortable having him read it.)


No comments: