What is your reading goal this year?

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Lemon Tart



Lemon Tart by Josi Kilpack

(Summary from the back of the book) "...Cooking aficionado-turned-amateur detective, Sadie Hoffmiller, tries to solve the murder of Anne Lemmon, her beautiful young neighbor--a single mother who was mysteriously killed while a lemon tart was baking in her oven. At the heart of Sadie's search is Anne's missing two-year-old son, Trevor. Whoever took the child must be the murderer, but Sadie is certain that the police are looking at all the wrong suspects--including her! Armed with a handful of her very best culinary masterpieces, Sadie is determined to bake her way to proving her innocence, rescuing Trevor, and finding out exactly who had a motive for murder."

Okay, let me start out by saying that I was very skeptical. Any fiction book you can buy at "Seagull Book" scares me. I don't like cheesy Mormony fiction, usually. This book surprised me. There are a few cheesy moments, for example, when it starts out Sadie is canning applesauce. Overall, though, it is good. There were some twists and turns, it held my attention, and I enjoyed it. I don't know if I'll run out for the next one, but if I get my hands on it then I'll read it. There are some yummy recipes in it also. I've had the brownies and they are delicious! I'm going to try the rest of them. One thing I didn't like was that it almost marginalized the murder because of the cutsy-ness of it all.

Rated: PG-13 (It is a murder, after all.)

Recommended for: High School and up.

No comments: