What is your reading goal this year?

Monday, March 1, 2010

The Count of Monte Cristo


The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

(Summary taken from the back cover) "Falsely accused of treason, the young sailor Edmond Dantes is arrested on his wedding day and imprisoned in the island fortress of the Chateau d'If. After staging a dramatic escape, he sets out to discover the fabulous treasure of Monte Cristo and catch up with his enemies. A novel of enormous tension and excitement, Monte Cristo is also a tale of obsession and revenge. Believing himself to be an 'Angel of Providence', Dantes pursues his vengeance to the bitter end, only then realizing that he himself is a victim of fate."

I LOVE this book!!! I have read it (the 1,100 page version) at least twice, and I will definitely read it again! This is another of my all-time favorite books!!! I could go on and on about how much I love this book. There is an abridged version for those who do not like 1,100 page books, and I've heard it's good, but I haven't read it. Also, do not watch the movie and think you will get the whole picture. I don't even know why they called the movie by the same name because they are completely different. The movie is good, yes....but it's not the same story at all. I love Alexandre Dumas's writing style. I love the description, the attention to detail, the feeling he portrays, the emotion. I love the characters (well, some of them), I love how he describes them and how everything fits together perfectly. It is a little harder of a read because it was written in the 1800's. I love that language but some people find it hard to get into. There are also a lot of characters to remember, but it's worth every minute of time spent reading. Okay, hopefully I don't get your expectations too high!

Rating: PG-13: (Prison talk, revenge, but mostly you have to be a little more mature to read it just to get into the language and really understand the feelings.)

Recommendation: I read it in high school so I would say high school and up. It's not a good read-aloud. I would recommend it to anyone 17+ who loves  a good read with love, revenge, hate, suffering, remorse, action...it has something for everyone!

1 comment:

Apron Appeal said...

I read this a while ago but I remember being so sad when I finished it. I guess it's good to see what hate and the desire for revenge does to a person, but I hated seeing it. I'll have to read this again, now that I'm a little older and my view of the world has already been tarnished.

sewmanybooks.blogspot.com