What is your reading goal this year?

Monday, April 5, 2010

Fablehaven #1


Fablehaven #1 by Brandon Mull

(Summary taken from the back of the book) "For centuries mystical creatures were gathered into a hidden refuge called Fablehaven to prevent their extinction. The sanctuary is one of the last strongholds of true magic. Enchanting? Absolutely. Exciting? You bet. Safe? Well, actually, quite the opposite...Kendra and her brother, Seth, have no idea that their grandfather is the current caretaker of Fablehaven. Inside the gated woods, ancient laws keep order among greedy trolls, mischievous satyrs, plotting witches, spiteful imps, and jealous fairies. However, when the rules get broken, powerful forces of evil are unleashed, and Kendra and her brother must face the greatest challenge of their lives to save their family, Fablehaven, and perhaps the world."

I liked this book, but I didn't love it. It was good and entertaining, but it didn't capture me from the beginning. It didn't seem "real," which is funny because it's fantasy, but that's how I felt. It was good, clean reading, and it would be a good read-aloud for younger children. I do know some people that LOVED this book, so it may just be me. I think I will read the rest of the series because I know my children will want to read them and I like to preview books before they read them.  I would recommend it for when you want to read a book and don't really want to think, just be entertained.

Rating: PG There are some scarier parts and some gory parts. There isn't any language or "physical intimacy."

Recommendation: 1st or 2nd grade for read-alouds and if the child is reading by himself, 2nd or 3rd grade, depending on the child and his reading ability. My 2nd grader wants to read the series and I think I will let him try, although I do want to read it aloud. It's also good for anyone above that level that wants a fun, entertaining book to read.

No comments: