What is your reading goal this year?

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Catching Fire (Hunger Games #2)


Catching Fire (Hunger Games #2) by Suzanne Collins

(Summary taken from the book jacket) "Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol--a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create. Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying."

Wow. That's all I have to say....wow. This book is VERY intense! It doesn't start out as intense, but at the end....wow. The last fifty pages go so fast and there is so much happening I had to reread a couple of paragraphs because I wasn't sure who was doing what, and there was action everywhere. And the ending.....may I say, "What ending?????" She leaves you hanging on for dear life at the end. I hate it when the book doesn't end...I kept turning the empty pages at the end begging for more. There are so many twists and turns it's crazy. And I have to wait until WHEN for the next book??? AAAAHHHHHH! It's going to be a long couple of months. But I digress....I have to give it to Ms. Collins, she did a very good job on this second book. The characters are much more developed and it is very well written. I felt a lot more as if I were there with the people of District 12, as if I were afraid of the Capitol myself, and as if I too had emotions running wild. Once again, how can you love a book full of death and destruction?? I don't know, but Ms. Collins' writing just pulls you in and keeps you there. If you were depressed after the first book I would say definitely read the second one. It is still depressing, but the intensity of it overrides the depressing factor. You still have no idea between Gale and Peeta, and NOTHING is finalized, in fact, on the last page there are more questions that haven't been answered than have, but it is worth reading because there might be a smidgeon of hope??? You'll have to decide for yourself on that one.

Rating: R (Remember, this rating does not follow the movie ratings. An R rating simply means there are adult themes that I don't think are appropriate for younger children.)  There is little to no language. Peeta and Katniss kiss and sleep in the same bed for comfort, but nothing inappropriate happens. It is the violence and death that make this book inappropriate for young readers. The themes are very mature and would be hard for a younger reader to understand and deal with.

Recommendation: Senior year of high school and up. Also, I would only recommend it to adults with the above precautions. As with the first book, death and despair are abundant......but I liked it??? Hmmm. Hopefully the third book brings some happiness!

No comments: