What is your reading goal this year?

Sunday, January 22, 2012


Inheritance (Book #4) by Christopher Paolini

(Summary taken from the inside book jacket) "It began with Eragon...It ends with Inheritance. Not so very long ago, Eragon--Shadeslayer, Dragon Rider--was nothing more than a poor farm boy, and his dragon, Saphira, only a blue stone in the forest. Now, the fate of an entire civilization rests on their shoulders. Long months of training and battle have brought victories and hop, but they have also brought heartbreaking loss. And still, the real battle lies ahead: they must confront Galbatorix. When they do, they will have to be strong enough to defeat him. And if they cannot, no one can. There will be no second chance. The Rider and his dragon have come farther than anyone dared to imagine. But can they topple the evil king and restore justice to Alagaesia? And if so, at what cost? This is the spellbinding conclusion to Christopher Paolini's worldwide bestselling Inheritance cycle."

I have been waiting for this book for what seems like forever! I loved the first three and could not wait for the last book. It's long. It took me awhile to read, but I really enjoy Mr. Paolini's writing style. He draws you in and keeps you there. I like that he uses some "bigger" words and makes you think a little more than other series might. I get so lost in his world. I feel attached to a lot of the characters, like Eragon and Saphira, Roran, Arya, Nasuada, and Orik. I even really like Murtagh, even though he is now sworn to Galbatorix. I just keep thinking that he'll come around. Mr. Paolini has this way with his characters that makes you feel like you are their best friends. I get worried about them, happy for them, sad for them, etc.

At the beginning of the book I was really disappointed because I didn't think Eragon was being true to himself (Mr. Paolini may have forgotten Eragon's disposition in the first three books????). After his farm was burned and his uncle killed, Eragon was filled with anger and wanted revenge; however, he grew more into his new role and grew out of his blood thristy thoughts. He didn't like the fighting. The sight of what the Ra'zac did to villagers made him ill. He fought only because he had to. At the beginning of this book Eragon just seemed like he enjoyed the fighting and the violence. He seemed to want it and even need it. Fortunately, Mr. Paolini saved it in the middle and end by bringing Eragon back to his true self.

By the middle of the book I was finally hooked. Eragon was back to normal, the storyline was filled with twists and turns and lots of tension, and I couldn't read fast enough. I liked the way everything was shaping up. And then came the end. Ahhhhhhhh!!!! Really??? You draw us in, hook us, make us wait forever for this last book, and then this is how you end it??? 849 pages was not long enough....it needed another 100 pages at least to end it the right way. I was so mad. I would have thrown the book if it hadn't been from the library. I still can't believe he ended it that way. We, as readers and fans, don't care about a good ending being predictable, we just want it to end the right way. Boo.

This book was quite graphic. There was some heavier language. There was also a very graphic  torture scene, which disturbed me. There is a lot of fighting and a lot of death. It is war, and it's not pretty.

If you have read the first three books then I recommend reading this one. You need to read it for yourself. Maybe you'll enjoy the ending.....Having said that.....I still think I would recommend the series because the first three are so good, but I was disappointed by the ending.

Rating: PG-13+ (War scenes, death, violence, torture scenes, language)

Recommendation: 14 or 15 and up. My 10 year-old really wants to read this series but I think it's too much for him still. Especially this book. He's going to be mad, but I'm not going to let him read it for a few more years.

No comments: