What is your reading goal this year?

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane


Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane (Book #2) by Suzanne Collins

(Summary taken from the inside book jacket) "In the months since Gregor first encountered the strange Underland beneath New York City, he's sworn he won't ever go back. But when another prophecy, this time about an ominous white rat known as the Bane, calls for Gregor's help, the Underlanders know the only way they can get his attention is through his little sister, Boots. Now Gregor's quest reunites him with his bat, Ares, the rebellious princess Luxa, and new allies, and sends them through the dangerous and deadly Waterway in search of the Bane. Then Gregor must face the possibility of his greatest loss yet, and make life and death choices that will determine the future of the Underland."

I was really excited to read this book because I really enjoyed the first one. It did not disappoint. It was full of action and took Gregor on quite the adventure. It wasn't a happy journey, at all, and there was a lot of loss. Loss of animals and people. There were some surprises and there was some predictability, but overall I really liked it. You could tell Ms. Collins was setting the reader up for book #3, but that's ok. As an adult, I just read. I don't really look for what I think is coming, and the younger readers, like my 10 year-old son, don't either. If you do, you may predict the ending, but I just sit back and enjoy the story. I always like to see how the prophecies turn out, and the creative ways that Gregor finds to fulfill them, and the creative ways he uses the "Overlander" resources to help himself and his friends.

I really like the characters in this series, and I began to like the new characters that are introduced in this book. I like Ms. Collins' character development, especially with Gregor and Boots and Luxa and Mareth. I do want to know more about Mrs. Cormaci, so I hope that comes into another book. She seems like she might know what is going on, but you can't tell for sure.

This book is quite violent with some gory scenes. There are some deaths (of animals) and some missing persons. There is no language and no "physical intimacy."

Rating: PG+ (Not quite a PG-13, but might be too much for some younger readers.) Violence, death of animals, fighting.

Recommendation: 3rd grade and up. If your child is in third or fourth grade and is sensitive then it may be too much. My fourth grader loved it. I liked it as well.

No comments: