What is your reading goal this year?

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Speed of Light


Speed of Light by Lee Baker

(Summary taken from the back book cover) "A secret technology and a test pilot. Pierce Black becomes light and his mind changes. They want him dead. The race begins...."

This book is fast-paced, thrilling, and an easy read. It's crazy to think that someday we may travel at the speed of light. The storyline is very creative and different, which I like. Mr. Lee's writing style is easy to read and follow, and takes you on a crazy journey to save Pierce's life and his son's life. There are many twists and turns, and even though the events that happen are (right now) not feasible, Mr. Lee makes it seem completely normal and possible. I felt connected to Pierce and his son Danny, and his sister-in-law Vanessa, and thought the character development was really good. I especially loved the connection between Pierce and Danny. The love they felt for each other shone through the pages and into my room. I almost cried it was so sweet when Pierce felt that for the first time. The "visions" Pierce sees may seem corny when described in a summary, but seem very real in the context of the story. Even though I cringed at many of the things Pierce did, I felt his fear, frustration, joy, and pain.

I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it, if you like fast-paced action adventure books. It was clean except for a lot of violence. A lot of people die, and some of the deaths are described in great, gory detail. There are police chase scenes, airplanes flying the speed of light, suspense, drama, a little romance here and there, and cover-ups.....what's not to like??? The one thing I didn't really understand was why "they" (I won't tell you who) wanted Pierce dead. He was the star, the one who would bring publicity and fame. I thought that would be a good thing??  In any case, I enjoyed this book and do recommend it.

Rating: PG-13+  (No language or "physical intimacy" but a lot of deaths. And some of the deaths are described in great depth and are difficult to read.)

Recommendation: 16 and up.

Home

Disclosure: I'd like to thank Media Guests and Lee Baker for allowing me to review this book. I did receive a free copy of this book in exchange for my review. That does not change my opinion of the book: all reviews are honest.

No comments: