What is your reading goal this year?

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Delirium (Book #1)


Delirium (Book #1) by Lauren Oliver

(Summary taken from laurenoliverbooks.com) "Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love."

I know there have been quite a few books written lately about a controlling government, and I've read a lot of them. I've read "Matched," "Divergent," "Hunger Games," and there are probably more. Even so, I had heard good things about this book so I decided to pick it up for my trip to Mexico. It did not disappoint. I finished it in less than two days......mind you I was sitting on the beach reading for hours at a time (no kids...). I fell in love with the characters and with Ms. Oliver's writing. Lena, Hana, Grace, and Alex were my favorite characters. I thought Ms. Oliver's character development was very good and I felt as if I had known these people all my life. Hana was a really fun character and I liked her most of the time. She just seemed like your typical, fun, outgoing teenage girl. Lena reminded me of myself. She was not good at spontaneity, she liked order, safety, and seemed mature for her age. Hana was good at adding in the fun. And so was Alex. He intrigued me from the first time Lena saw him. I liked the reality he brought her, along with the romance. Ms. Oliver's writing drew me in from the beginning. It was easy to read, and read quickly, and had this way of just pulling me in. The story was a little predictable, but that didn't keep me from finishing. I did not like the ending at all! I was so mad! I can't tell what happens, but--ahhhhhhh!!!!! I was incredibly angry at Lena. So what did I do? I picked up number two and started reading. Haha, yep, I was hooked.

The language in this book is bad, at times. The "f" word is used at least three times, and there is other language as well. There are some harsh scenes in the prison and some violent scenes as well, with beatings and fighting. There is also some kissing.

Rating: R (This does not follow the movie ratings exactly, it is just my was of saying it is not appropriate for younger readers--language, violence, beatings)

Recommendation: 18 and up. I know my kids, when they are teenagers, will hear this kind of language at school, but I don't want them reading it. I would not classify this book as young adult approved.

No comments: