What is your reading goal this year?

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Janitors: Secrets of New Forest Academy (Book #2)



Janitors: Secrets of New Forest Academy (Book #2)

(Summary taken from the inside book jacket) "Now more than ever, Spencer, Daisy, and even Dez must fight to save schools everywhere. Toxites, the small creatures that love to feed on the brain waves of students, are just the beginning of their troubles. The Bureau of Educational Maintenance (BEM) is after Spencer, and the Rebels hope to sneak him to safety within the walls of an elite private school. But danger follows Spencer and his friends, testing their loyalty and trust as well as their Toxite-fighting skills. Can they hold out long enough to discover the true secret of New Forest Academy and what it means to the future of education?'

I liked book #1, and book #2 did not disappoint. There is lots of toxite-fighting action, betrayal, danger, garbage dumpsters, and cleaning supplies. There are also new friends and enemies, along with some fun new glopified weapons. I thought this book was a fun, easy read, and for those who liked the first book, you will definitely like the second. Spencer and Daisy continue to fight for education everywhere, including where they thought they would be safe. Penny and Walter continue to surprise with fun new inventions. There are some great twists and turns in this book, along with some surprises. I liked a bunch of the new characters. I wasn't sure about some of them at first, but they grew on me for sure. There are some definite "yeah-right" moments in the book, but it's fantasy, right? Anything can happen. It's very creative and fun. It's really not the best writing in the world, but it's fun and the kids love it. It's also clean, which is always a bonus in my book. I can't tell you the number of kids who have seen me reading this series and commented on how much they loved it and can't wait for #3 (which I will review tomorrow!!!). I have my two boys and the neighbor girl already waiting......and waiting.....for me to finish #3 so they can read it. I'm sure it will get passed on after that as well. My sister said my niece didn't want to read this series because the covers look too boy-ish. She's right, they do kind of make it seem more for boys, but Daisy and Penny are main characters, and they are girls. I think the girls will like it too, you just have to get them to look past the cover art. This series is actually really good for showing strong girl characters.

Rating: PG+ (Toxite-fighting violence, good guy vs. bad guy fighting, but nothing too gory or gruesome or scary)

Recommendation: 3rd Grade and Up ( My sons are 5th and 4th grades and they love it too)





No comments: