What is your reading goal this year?

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Uncle Flynn


Uncle Flynn by Simon Dillon

(Summary taken from an email the author sent me) "When timid eleven year old Max Bradley embarks on a hunt for buried treasure on Dartmoor with his mysterious Uncle Flynn, he discovers he is braver than he thought. Together they decipher clues, find a hidden map and explore secret tunnels in their search. But with both police and rival treasure hunters on their tail, Max begins to wonder if his uncle is all he seems..."

I liked this book. I liked the characters, especially Max. I also liked Uncle Flynn. I thought they were developed well. Uncle Flynn is quite mysterious; there isn't a whole lot of history or detail in regards to him, but it definitely makes him more intriguing. The writing is okay; it moves a little slowly in some parts, but then the action will pick up in others. There are some surprises and twists that made the book more exciting and interesting. There are a few unbelievable parts, but it's ok because by the time you get to them you're hooked and you just keep reading anyway. I liked the adventure and mystery in this book. I enjoyed the story and thought it was entertaining. I think that the middle-grade and early YA crowd will especially enjoy it.

There were one or two swear words and some close calls with a panther. There are some bad guys who try throughout the book to capture or kill Max. 

I enjoyed this book and am now excited to hand it over to my 12 and 10 year-olds. I think they'll enjoy it as well.

Rating: PG+ (One or two swear words, some minor violence)

Recommendation: 5th grade and up (As far as content goes, I think it would be okay for fourth graders, and maybe even a really good third grade reader, but the way it is written lends itself more toward a reader that is a little bit older.)


No comments: