What is your reading goal this year?

Friday, September 26, 2014

Raising a Reader

Today's tip is one of my favorites!!! Why? Because I get to do what I love and not feel guilty! 

Be A Good Example!!!!

Yep, that's it! Be a good example and read, read, read. Read all sorts of different genres, and if you can, let your children see you reading, and let them see that you enjoy it. Children mimic their parents' attitudes towards many things, and reading is one of them. If you have a good attitude about reading then they most likely will too.

A good idea is also to talk to your kids about what you read. If it's a history book then you can 
talk to them about it. Talk to them about that time in history and if you remember it or not. Maybe their grandparents lived through that time, maybe you did. This gives them an opportunity to get to know the person and the events. I know my kids are always asking about the books I'm reading. I try to summarize the plot and discuss a few of the characters, because it teaches them those skills. And it teaches them to pay attention to those things when they read. 

If your children are old enough to read the book you are reading, and it's appropriate for them, then recommend it to them. Have them read it after you do, and discuss it together. I love doing this with my kids. We've had some very good discussions.

Here is a list of books that I have read and then recommended to my boys that they've enjoyed:


Wonder by R.J. Palacio

( My sixth grader did read this book and did enjoy it. There was just one page I didn't let him read that was about naked women or something.)

The Princess Bride by William Goldman

These are just a few of them, but we've had some very good discussions and some fun times together discussing these books. It's like your own mini book group in your own house. So fun!!

Happy Reading!!!! 
(And now you can do it guilt free, knowing it's good for the kids!!)

No comments: