What is your reading goal this year?

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Let's Celebrate Thanksgiving


Let's Celebrate Thanksgiving by Peter and Connie Roop

We got this book a few years ago in a book order from the school, and I actually like it. It has some very good information about the Pilgrims and the Native Americans. It isn't a fictional story, it is facts and information about the Pilgrims and the Native Americans involved in that first Thanksgiving at Plymouth Colony in 1621. I love that they tried to make it accurate. The Pilgrims did not wear black and white clothing, and the Native Americans did not live in teepees. It talks about the Mayflower, the hardships that the Pilgrims faced, how Squanto and Massasoit fit in, how the Wampanoag tribe helped the Pilgrims, and what they probably ate at that first Thanksgiving. As far as I can tell, the information is accurate with what I have researched myself. So that part is great for the parents! Then there are fun jokes and fascinating facts interspersed with all the information to make it more fun for the kids. For example, "The Mayflower traveled at a speed of 2 miles an hour. That is about 48 miles a day." And, "If a Pilgrim threw a pumpkin into the air, what came down? Squash!" Hahaha..... The illustrations are bright and colorful, and they are well done. They are still cartoony (is that even a word??), but they try to be more accurate than most illustrators do. I also like that they talk about different Thanksgiving celebrations around the world, and that there were a few Thanksgiving celebrations before the Pilgrims at Plymouth Colony.

I like the accurate information in this book! I like that the authors took the time to do the research and teach the children correct information. I love the illustrations! We talked about Thanksgiving last night in our family, and my 11 year-old son kept giving all these correct answers. When I asked him where he learned it (because I'm sure he didn't remember it from last year, and I'm pretty sure he didn't learn all of it in school), he said it was from this book. Yay! Love it!

Rating: G (Clean!)

Recommendation: Everyone!


No comments: