What is your reading goal this year?

Monday, October 19, 2015

The Heir (The Selection Series Book # 4)





The Heir (The Selection Series Book #4) by Kiera Cass

Blurb:

"Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon--and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has 0 interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible. But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection--no matter how fervently she protests. Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her...and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought."

My Review:

I didn't expect this book to be written from a different perspective than the other ones, but it was. It was written from the point of view of Eadlyn, daughter to America Singer and Prince Maxon. I have to say that just changing the point of view kind of turned me off to the book at first. Once I knew it wasn't America's story I kind of lost interest. But, I'd read all the other books so I decided to read it. It wasn't as good as I hoped it would be, but it turned out okay. It was quite predictable, but I still kept reading. The characters were done fairly well. I liked her brothers Ahren, Osten, and Kaden. I didn't really love Eadlyn. She was difficult to relate to, kind of bratty, and hard to please. You can kind of see why she is that way, with how she is raised, but it was a little irritating. Out of all the Selection boys I'd have to say that I liked Kile, Hale, Ean, Henri, and Erik (even though he's not an official candidate). Each of these guys were respectable and seemed like nice, normal guys. Although some of the dating scenes were cheesy and predictable, I did begin to kind of soften towards the story as I continued reading. This book is okay. If you read the others then you will most likely want to read this one, just know that it is different.

There is some language in this book, so be prepared. There was also too much about "intimacy" for my tastes, especially in a YA book. It is discussed and there is at least one almost-scene. There is kissing. One of my biggest turn-offs with this book is the violence. There is quite a bit of domestic violence in this book. The guys in the Selection aren't as respectable with her as they should be. There is one scene, in particular, where the guy's intent is rape. It doesn't happen, but you understand that the intention is there. I was not a fan of that scene.

Rating: PG-13 (Profanity, domestic violence, including an almost-rape scene, and discussions about "intimacy," along with an almost-scene.)

Recommendation: 13 and up (YA). This book is not appropriate for middle-graders.


No comments: