What is your reading goal this year?

Thursday, April 7, 2016

How Do I Know If I Know?



How Do I Know If I Know? by John Bytheway

Blurb:

"It's spiritual gut-check time! The mission age has been lowered, and now more than ever, young people are asking themselves important questions:
  • How do I know if I really have a testimony?
  • Am I ready to serve a mission?
  • What does the Spirit feel like?
John Bytheway suggest that we "F.E.E.L." the truthfulness of the gospel through our feelings, our experiences, the many evidences we encounter, and our logical conclusions about how a loving God interacts with His children on the earth. Like gradually turning up a dimmer switch, understanding all the ways we F.E.E.L. our testimony will help it grow brighter. As you read, you may discover that your testimony is stronger than you thought, and you'll also become more excited and motivated to let your light shine!"

My Review:

I heard John Bytheway speak many years ago when I was a youth, and he captivated me! He does such a great job of relating to the youth with his humor and stories. This is the first book I have read by him, and I was interested to see if I would feel the same way about his writing as I did of his speaking. I have to say that I was impressed. His writing style is easy to follow and understand, and he uses simple examples to explain difficult things; which makes them easier to understand and follow. He puts things in an engaging and motivating way, and it makes you want to work harder to do better. I think the topic is so relevant too. I have a 14 year-old son, and he could go on a mission right out of high school. There isn't the chance to spend a year figuring it all out before you go, it's now! These kids need to be prepared, and it scares me as a mom! What if I haven't prepared him? What if I haven't done enough? This book helps the kids to prepare themselves, which is what really needs to happen. We moms can't do it for them. They need to know--they don't need to know that we know. This is a short, easy read, but it packs a big punch. I am going to have both my 14 year-old and 12 year-old sons read this book because I think it will help them to determine where they are and if they are doing enough to prepare themselves. I definitely recommend this book to parents and youth alike, those who want to serve missions and those who don't, it benefits everyone.

Rating: G (It's clean!)

Recommendation: 12 years-old and up (Younger kids could read it and understand it, but I think it will most benefit the youth rather than the children.)



No comments: