What is your reading goal this year?

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

The Magnolia Story



The Magnolia Story
by
Chip and Joanna Gaines
(with Mark Dagostino)

Blurb:

"Sometimes the messiest stuff and the biggest mistakes can take you someplace wonderful. With the help of their hit TV show, Fixer Upper, the husband and wife team of Chip and Joanna Gaines have transformed the seemingly everyday work of renovating homes and flipping houses in Waco, Texas, into something much more. With their fun personalities, good humor, strong love of family, and unique design style, they've managed to capture the hearts of Americans from all walks of life. It all happened so quickly, their ever-multiplying fan base has been left to wonder: Who are these people? Where did they come from What's the secret to their success? And should I pack up and move to Waco, too? From the very first renovation project they ever tackled together to the project that nearly cost them everything, The Magnolia Story offers a peak behind the curtain of who Chip and Joanna are today. This first book also includes stories and photos from the childhood memories that shaped them and the twists and turns that led them to the life they currently share: on the farm with their four kids and countless farm animals, and in their ever-expanding roles and entrepreneurs, designers, and good neighbors. It also answers (in hilarious detail) the one lingering question that fans of the show always ask: Is Chip really that funny? 'Oh yeah,' says Joanna.' He was, and still is, my first fixer upper.'"

My Review:

I have a confession to make. Yep, you guessed it. I'm an HGTV addict. I may watch a few too many shows on that channel. (When I'm not reading, of course!) Fixer Upper has always been one of my favorites. I think that Chip and Joanna seem so sincere, and you can feel the love they have for each other and their children just radiating through the tv waves. When I saw this book at the library I grabbed it. And now it's four days late, so I better review it and get it back to the library quick! I really enjoyed this book! It is written from both Joanna and Chip's perspectives. There are two different fonts representing each of them, and it's easy to read. The voice they have is great. I love how much importance they put on their family, and the importance they put on their marriage. Their voices in this book are great. They say that individually they are good, but together they make each other stronger, and I love that! They didn't have perfect childhoods, and not everything has come easy to them, but they work very hard, and they dream big. They have some fun stories from their childhoods, and also from their marriage. The big houseboat surprise is hilarious. I liked that they made it clear that they are not perfect. They have disagreements, they have made a few poor business choices, and they each have areas they need to improve in, but they do their best, they forgive each other, and they always put family first. This book is well written, has a positive voice, and is inspirational. I love that they discuss how God has blessed them, and the miracles they've witnessed in their lives. 

Rating: G (Clean!)

Recommendation: 5th grade and up (My daughter is in 5th grade, and I'd be fine with her reading it. I don't really think she'd care to, but it is appropriate.)

No comments: