What is your reading goal this year?

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Magician's Nephew (Book #1)


The Magician's Nephew (Book #1) by C.S. Lewis
(Summary taken from the back of the book) "When Digory and Polly are tricked by Digory's peculiar Uncle Andrew into becoming part of an experiment, they set off on the adventure of a lifetime. What happens to the children when they touch Uncle Andrew's magic rings is far beyond anything even the old magician could have imagined. Hurtled into the Wood between the Worlds, the children soon find that they can enter many worlds through the mysterious pools there. In one world they encounter the evil Queen Jadis, who wreaks havoc in the streets of London when she is accidentally brought back with them. When they finally manage to pull her out of London, unintentionally taking along Uncle Andrew and a coachman with his horse, they find themselves in what will come to be known as the land of Narnia."
I did not know this book existed until after I had read all the other books, so I read it last. I liked it a lot! It explains how Narnia came to be and sets up the rest of the series. I would recommend reading it first, but it was still good at the end. I would definitely recommend this book and the whole series. I love the symbolism.

Rated:PG

Recommendation: 12 and Up. 9 or 10 if read as a read-aloud.  (Great for everyone!!! I think it would be good for kids maybe 10 or older, just because the older children will understand the symbolism a little more.)

1 comment:

Melanie said...

What?! The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe isn't the first book!! Who knew? And, Prince Caspian isn't the second? I just go by the movies, can you tell? I'm loving this blog! Way to go. I'm heading to the library website to reserve some books.