What is your reading goal this year?

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Requiem (Book #3)


Requiem (Book #3) by Lauren Oliver

(Summary taken from amazon.com) "This exciting finale to Lauren Oliver's New York Times bestselling Delirium trilogy is a riveting blend of nonstop action and forbidden romance in a dystopian United States.
Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has transformed. The nascent rebellion that was underway in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.
After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven. Pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels.
As Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain of the Wilds, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancĂ©e of the young mayor. Requiem is told from both Lena and Hana's points of view. They live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.
With lyrical writing, Lauren Oliver seamlessly interweaves the peril that Lena faces with the inner tumult she experiences after the reappearance of her first love, Alex, the boy she thought was dead. Sophisticated and wide-ranging, Requiem brings the Delirium trilogy to a thrilling conclusion."

What is the one word I would use to describe this book? INTENSE. Wow. It is everything in the first two books and more. If you read the first two....you've probably already read this one! Once again, the writing style is fast-paced and action-packed. There are a lot of the same characters as in book two, and a few more are introduced. I loved that it went back to Hana. I really liked her in the first book, and it was fun to get back to her and bring her back into the story. For the most part, I liked the direction the book took, and felt it was a good ending for the story. It didn't wrap everything up in a perfect little package, but it wrapped it up enough that I felt like it was realistic and it was a good ending. 

There was a lot of violence in this book. They are at war. People die, including a main character. There is fighting and everything that goes with a war. There is quite a bit of language, including a few "f" words. I also thought it was a little "Twilighty" (Yes, I just made up that word) with Lena and those two boys, but not quite as bad. It did make me a little crazy though. 

I enjoyed the book a lot and read it very quickly. I think I actually read the entire series in a matter of three or four days (Keep in mind, I was on vacation at the beach and read for the good part of the day as I sat lounging in the sun. Here....just in case you want to be jealous or go there too. It was fabulous.) Hopefully I described each individual book correctly because I read them so fast they kind of blended together in my mind. I definitely recommend this book and series, but not as a YA series. 

Rating: R (This doesn't follow the movie ratings exactly, it is just my way of saying that it is not appropriate for younger readers.) Profanity, including a few "f" words, violence, war-time atrocities, death.

Recommendation: 18 years-old and up




No comments: