What is your reading goal this year?

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Allegiant (Divergent Series Book #3)


Allegiant (Divergent Series Book #3) by Veronica Roth

(Summary taken from amazon.com)
What if your whole world was a lie?
What if a single revelation—like a single choice—changed everything?
What if love and loyalty made you do things you never expected?
The explosive conclusion to Veronica Roth's #1 New York Times bestselling Divergent trilogy reveals the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.

I was so excited to read this book. I LOVED the first two! I was number 60-something at the library and so I finally just borrowed it from a friend because I couldn't wait any longer. And then I started reading. Oh my gosh!!!! I have not been this upset or angry or disappointed by a book three since the third book of the Eragon series. What a waste!!!! Now, if you have read the first two, you will still want to read it, I guess, but don't get your hopes up. It is written very poorly. The first two were all first person Tris, and this book is split between first person Tris and first person Tobias. Weird. But to make it worse, you can't tell the difference in their voices. I had to keep flipping back to the beginning of the chapter to see who was talking. It completely ruined my vision of who Tobias was; because I couldn't tell the difference, he took on Tris' voice, almost, and became quite girly and whiny. Instead of being "the" Dauntless example of tough and fearless, he became soft and scared. It's too bad, because I didn't expect what happened outside the city. It was an angle I had never thought of, and never would have guessed. But it was ruined because of her poor writing. I'm not sure if she was being rushed by the publisher or what, but it was bad. Very bad. The characters also didn't stay true to themselves in this book either. The choice Tobias' mother makes at the end, although I kind of hoped she would choose that way, was completely unbelievable because she had acted completely opposite the whole second book. Tobias' actions with the underground group surprised me, and I didn't think that was true to him. I couldn't believe that after Tris' little group knew the truth that they didn't run back and tell everyone in the city. There wouldn't be any way the compound people could keep me there; I would have run back right away to let my friends and family know the truth. Although the choice Tris made at the end was expected, what happened after that was not. I hated the ending. It doesn't make sense or work with how the first two books are written. I'll leave it at that. Lame, lame, lame. I do not recommend reading this book. After you finish the second one just let your imagination run wild and find your own ending. I promise it will be better than this one!!!

There is language in this book, and although there is never actually an "intimacy" scene, there are a few times that come pretty close. Hands go places and clothes are lacking. They sleep in the same bed a couple of times, leaving you wondering.....There is also quite a bit of violence in this book. Some of it is quite graphic.
I finished this book a long time ago, and just thinking about it again makes me as angry as I was when I finished. Boo. I am very disappointed.

Rating: PG 13 (Language, violence, some very-close-to-intimacy scenes, and the deaths of some well-known characters.)

Recommendation: 13-14 years and up




No comments: